Saturday, March 22, 2014

Piano Bar: Smooth Jazz Club at Midnight Buddha Café





This is the style I played in the day. It is entirely improvised. I would play for hours at a time. Dad would be 89 today. I took lessons from Dad's teacher, Phil Weiss. I would take the 23 to the Broad St. subway down town. His studio was up a few flights of steps some where on Locust St I think. He had three rooms but only one piano was tuned. As a young adult I went back to visit but he had just passed away. There were three young men there who had rented the studio. The same piano's were there. They had them tuned. I said I came to see Phi Weiss but of course he was gone. I was asked to play. They wanted me to take lessons. When I sat down the music just came from my hands. They always knew what to do. I didn't have to think. I was told there was nothing they could teach me. No lesson from them.  I sat down today for the first time in many years.  Life has its distractions.  My fingers rebelled.  I've decided to practice again until.  It is like growing young.  It takes me back in time to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment